The history of Hutchesons
Its journey from Hutchesons' Hall to Hutchesons
Behind Hutcheson’s clean white facade lies a long and colourful history.
The original Hutchesons' Hospital was erected in 1660 after George Hutcheson of Lamb Hill left an endowment stating his wishes for a hospital to be built for sick and old men. His brother Thomas Hutcheson later added to the endowment that the new building should also accommodate a school for orphaned boys. The hospital stood at the Trongate until it was demolished in 1795 and in the same year the Patrons of the Hospital purchased grounds on Ingram St.
In 1802 the patrons commissioned a relatively young David Hamilton, one of Glasgow's great architects to design and oversee the construction of a new hospital building. Hutchesons' Hall, one of Glasgow's finest and most elegant buildings was completed in 1805. The new building was planned to accommodate offices and meeting rooms for the hospital patrons as well as school rooms, but just five years after the building opened the school became overcrowded and a new purpose built school was constructed next door.
Statues of George and Thomas Hutcheson carved in 1655 by James Colquhoun were removed from the original Hutchesons' hospital and can be seen today taking pride on the exterior of the building facing Hutchesons' street, and are the oldest free standing statues in Glasgow.
In 1876 a major refurbishment took place within the building, with alteration works being completed to the designs of John Baird II. Much of the internal plan and decorative and structural arrangements which can be experienced today date from this significant remodeling. The most radical alteration appears to be in the Grand Hall, were the entire second storey floor was removed allowing for the formation of a new double height hall, and can now be experienced by all as our Grand hall Brasserie.
In 1984, The National Trust for Scotland purchased the building and for a number of years it was used as their office until water damage in 2008 left the building empty. After never truly finding its purpose, the concept of Hutchesons was brought to life by James Rusk after a two year transformation process, opening in the summer of June 2014 for all to enjoy its lavish spaces and rich heritage.
Many original features still adorn the building with comprehensive panelling and cornicing and intricate and detailed stained glass windows. The stained glass work to the hall itself includes direct reference to the Hutchesons' Hospital endowments, images of the original hospital building, the then current grammar school building in Crown Street, and of the Hutchesons' Brothers.
Since its creation in the early 1800s, Hutchesons' Hall has had a plethora of guises including a bank, library and in more recent times an exhibition space. But even after 200 years, it hadn’t really found its true purpose, until now.
As a three floor dining venue - Hutchesons is a place where people can enjoy its grand spaces and lavish interiors in a convivial environment while helping to protect an important part of Glasgow’s heritage.